Thursday, August 4, 2011

How much power does your computer consume ???

If you use your computer or laptops continuously for hours then you might be curious to know how much electricity your computer is using.


Joulemeter is a very useful app from Microsoft Research that tells how much power your laptop or desktop computer is consuming . It tracks computer resources, such as CPU utilization and screen brightness , disk usage and monitor electricity consumption etc to estimate the total power consumption . I used this software on my laptop and got the following result after running it for 30 minutes .


After running my laptop for 60 minutes I used 0.02 KWh electricity that is 0.02 units and my laptop emitted 0.03 cubic ft of CO2 . The price of electricity per unit in my location is 5 Rs (you can find yours by looking into electricity bill ). My laptop is consuming 1 unit of electricity in around 18 hours of running . When I tested this on my CRT monitor desktop its was 1 unit for 5 hours of running .. With 200 hours of monthly running my desktop is consuming approximately 200 Rs electricity while my laptop is consuming around 58 Rs electricity . Please note that this does not include the power used by speakers modem and other attached devices .

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

HAVE A LOOK

Mounting created Bloggif